Friday, August 22, 2014

Dog Day Afternoon

Clear
Clear
96 °F
Feels Like 97 °F
17 Wind from SSW
Gusts 24 mph
Today is forecast to be nearly the same temperature as yesterday.
Today
High 97 | Low 76 °F
0% Chance of Precip.

These are the Dog Days of Summer.  Public school starts up next week.  Seems like they only just got out for summer vacation.  DH will have to be extra careful for the next month or so commuting by bike to work and back, as his route takes him past a school or two, and his transit time in the afternoon is right as they dismiss.  It would not be good to get flattened by Susie Soccermom in her SUV as she multitasks driving, texting on her tablet while updating Twitter and Facebook, and yelling at her yard apes who are waging jihad in the back seats.

Wanting to do something to entertain the Monkeys before we have movie & pizza night, I opted to take Indy, by himself, to the local dog park.  It is a several acre facility, all high fenced and wood chipped, with drinking water for dogs, and a doggie water park even!  There are actually two separate enclosures, one for big dogs, and one for little dogs.  All access is 'air locked', with multiple doors you pass through to enter/exit, to reduce the chance for a dog to escape.
North and east, where it is shady.
Looking toward the small dog area.
Looking south.  Large shady area to the left.
The gazebo has the water park for dogs.
 I settled in under the trees at one of several metal table/bench combos.  There were several other folks out there, and one young boy struck up a friendship with the Monkeys and they began to play frisbee.  Indy thought this was great fun, chasing the children and the frisbee.
Charge!

Hey quit throwing that thing!

And away he goes...
As the temp is near enough to 100*F, I did not want to keep Indy out too long.  He was definitely getting hot from running around everywhere.  Luckily the city provides a dog watering station, and doggie landmine clean up bags...because I forgot to bring any!
Hey this feels nice on my paws!
Indy decided he was hot and wanted to cool off.  Unfortunately he really does not like water except to drink.  So imagine my surprise when he tried to get all 4 paws into the dog fountain!   I thought for a minute he was going to lay down in it.
Hmm...all four paws are in.
I wonder if I keep turning around, can I lay down in it?

 Alas, Indy wouldn't fit in the water dish fountain.  Poor Indy.  When the kids turned on the water park section, and the spray fountains turned on, Indy shied away from it.  After all, they might be drowning dogs in that water spray!  I swear, it's going to be a challenge finally giving him a bath.

I hope everyone has a fun and safe weekend planned.  I'm not sure what else we will be doing this weekend, but I think it involves steak, pork spare ribs on the smoker, and a tasty beverage!

2 comments:

  1. What a cool dog park! Mine went back to school on the 11th. Crazy early this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool dog park! Mine went back to school on the 11th. Crazy early this year!

    ReplyDelete

I blog for myself, my family and friends, and of course the Hounds! I love to read your comments, and I always read them all.

But if you are here just to shill your own product, or are a spammer, don't waste your time or mine.